Tips for Making Your Renovation as Painless as Possible
- First, start making a list of all the restaurants you’ve been meaning to try. When the microwave gets old, your list will come in handy for a quick escape!
- Second, in a fond farewell to your old kitchen, spend some time in it, cooking. Make family favorites and throw them in the freezer. We promise you’ll thank yourself later!
Before the cabinets arrive
- Decide on a safe enclosed area for the cabinets and appliances to be delivered, such as a neighboring room in your home.
Pack up the kitchen (or bathroom) well before the remodel.
- While it’s a great time to “spring clean” your shelves, don’t forget to label the storage boxes well. This will make the unpacking process a lot easier and a lot more fun!
Items that are fragile should be marked accordingly and stored in an area away from the construction.
- Plan a location outside of the area where the remodeling is being done to act as your temporary kitchen.
- Decide in advance where you’d like the installers to store their tools.
Set up a temporary kitchen
- You may be able to temporarily move everything you need…except the kitchen sink! Consider where your “water source” will be in relation to your temporary kitchen.
- Find a suitable place for your old refrigerator and your other appliances.
- Be sure the power source can handle the appliances.
- Microwave (and a freezer stocked with microwavable meals!).
- Coffee Maker (don’t forget to put the filters and coffee close at hand too!)
- Utility utensils, such as: can opener, bottle/wine opener, sharp knives, and microwavable dishes.
- Keep the basics handy: butter, salt & pepper, favorite spices, dining area/table. Tell the kids you’re picnicking…use paper plates & napkins as well as disposable silverware.
- Cleaning supplies and dishtowels.
- If it’s a bathroom remodel, pretend you’re packing to go on a trip. Remember the hairdryer and curling iron!
Don’t forget about your pets!
If there isn’t an area in your home to keep them safely away from construction, especially during certain phases – it may be a perfect time to treat your pet to a vacation at the kennel or a play date at a friend’s home.
There’s just no way to avoid it!
If there is a fish tank or electrical equipment in close proximity to the work, be sure to keep everything well covered!